Sunday, May 2, 2010

wifi iPad not worth it


Wired had a short review about the wifi only iPad and they seem to think settling down for the cheaper iPad is not even worth it.

Article says Maps app is one of the “wow” apps and without the A-GPS feature brought along with the 3G module it is not as useful.

It also suggests the iPad can be used an in-vehicle GPS navigation device provided there’s a passenger to actually hold it and type in the address :) We actually lolled at this.

Related:

GPS apps for iPadgolf app on iPad by Terra ImagingiPad does GPS.Sprint Mobile Hotspot does 4G and GPSNokia N95 – we still can’t see the GPS antenna

This entry was postedon Monday, April 5th, 2010 at 7:25 pmand is filed under gps navigation.You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.3 Responses to “”Muero Says:

April 6th, 2010 at 11:54 am

It is possible to achieve a GPS position fix with a WiFi iPad. I don’t mean SkyHook/WiFi positioning. I mean GPS positioning.


ress Says:

April 6th, 2010 at 1:27 pm

How is that possible?


Muero Says:

April 7th, 2010 at 10:03 am

I was like 99% sure that my iPhone was somehow transmitting its GPS positioning to the iPad, but today I did a test to make sure. It turns out I was wrong. I must have been getting some weak WiFi positioning even though I thought there weren’t any WiFi routers around. Today I made sure there couldn’t be any other WiFi sources around, and it failed. So I’m sorry if I got anyone’s hopes up. I thought I had eliminated extraneous variables but I had not.

As a side note, it should still be possible to get GPS location using third-party hardware, like how the iPod touch can use the GPS car docks.


Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

XHTML: You can use these tags:
View the
Original article