Saturday, May 1, 2010

when GPS fails

Mar 31, 2010 gps navigation

I always take my Android phone with when I go running. I have the My Tracks App. That’s how I keep track of distance/speed/elevation etc. It can automatically upload my stats to Google Docs and Google Maps. A couple of weeks ago my myTouch 3G’s GPS just wouldn’t get a satellite fix – I thought “I’ll just start running – since I’m outdoors it’ll find where I’m in a minute or two”. Well I was wrong. Google claimed this was where I ran that day (make sure you zoom out a few levels):


View Track 70 in a larger map

It looks like I was running up to 350mph at times while being 4000ft under the ocean (click red end point to see stats). Wow. I believe that’s faster than Usain Bolt!

So anyhow the next day I turned my GPS again for some maps and had the same issue. Then I thought it was time for a reboot. No problems with getting a GPS fix since then.

If you have some crazy tracks like this please share.

Related:

gps cow hatCSR’s eGPS claims it is better than A-GPSStep III GPS GSM tracking from FalcomYou Are Here$150K Mercedes fails to deliver decent GPS navigation system

This entry was postedon Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 at 11:59 pmand is filed under gps navigation.You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.4 Responses to “”Niranjan Says:

April 1st, 2010 at 1:04 am

I share every bit of your experience you mentioned here about my tracks.
I use Samsung Spica with built-in GPS and Google’s

View the Original article